Saturday, June 10, 2006
Taco Salad
I posted this one a few weeks ago over at Moogie's World, but I wanted to see how things looked. This is a really good meal for a hot summer day, especially if you use left-over meats, which doesn't require you to heat anything up. Unless of course, you use some hot salsa or jalepenos!

tc1.jpg tc3.jpg


We had a rare moment this week, in which both of the children were off with some friends for the evening. I made some taco salad and quesadillas. I'm really bad at "presentation" but I've posted some pictures of how it turned out. This recipe can be made many different ways, even low in fat and it still comes out fantastic. Especially on a hot summer evening.

Lettuce of any type, you can even mix them. In this case I used Spring Mix, Spinach, and American Salad Mix (bags...I go for simplicity).

Then, add anything you would normally put in a salad. In my case, because I used the American Salad Mix, I added mushrooms, bell peppers, green onions, and celery. Be creative!!!

Take a small onion, and dice it. Put about a tablespoon or less of oil in a pan, and sauté the onion along with some garlic in the pan. Add your meat of choice (I used ground turkey breast but any meat will do - leftover meat works well). Add chilli powder, basil...just use a bunch of different spices. When that's cooked (or heated up if it's leftover), add a bit of your favorite salsa, just enough to moisten the meat mixture and let simmer for about 10 minutes.

Crumble some tortilla chips and lay them on the bottom of your plate or bowl. Top with salad mixture, and then the meat, and then some grated cheese.

The dressing is pretty much your choice but it goes best with Catalina or Russian (I used the lite version of both). Put some chips on the side to serve as scoopers.

As you can see, you can really vary this recipe alot. I'm trying to cook low fat, so I used the ground turkey breast, low fat cheese, and lite dressing. If you need me to be more specific in the ingredients, drop me a line and I'll send you a more structured version.

Bon Appetit!!!

Submitted by Moogie

Categories: Mexican_,Salad_


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home